Sous Chef - National Harbor
Rosa Mexicano Restaurants, a NYC based, successful casual fine dining restaurant group known for outstanding hospitality and service and for offering an authentic menu that the Zagat Survey calls, "the 'gold standard' of 'upscale modern' Mexican cuisine", with locations in NY, DC, Miami, LA, seeks an Sous Chef.
Sous Chef are responsible for assisting with the overall success of the food program and overseeing culinary functions for the restaurant. The position entails assisting the Executive Chef / Chef in all phases of planning, ordering, inventory, and food preparation. The Sous Chef motivates, trains, develops, and directs the back of house employees preparing and cooking foods to accomplish the objectives of the operation to the satisfaction of the customers, clients, and management.
- Evaluates food products to ensure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Assists in coordinating and participating in the preparation and cooking of various food items.
- Rolls out new culinary programs in conjunction with the marketing and culinary team.
- Assists the Executive Chef / Chef with managing cost controls and controlling expenditure.
- Trains kitchen staff in food preparation, safe handling, operation of equipment, food safety and sanitation based on Company and regulatory standards
- Establishes and maintains cleaning and maintenance schedules for equipment, storage and work areas. Ensures that kitchen staff follows and completes schedules as assigned
- Maintains inventory of food and non-food supplies to stay within established guidelines while assuring that necessary product is available when needed
- Makes all decisions regarding utilization of leftover food products staying within Company guidelines for such products
- Complies with federal, state and local health and sanitation regulations and department sanitation procedures as evidenced through local health department and third-party audits
- Participates and attends departmental meetings, staff development, and professional programs, as appropriate
- Culinary degree preferred
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Services Technology/Management/or related field preferred
- Three to five years of progressive culinary or kitchen management experience, depending upon formal degree or training
- Experience with planning and managing catering events from a culinary perspective
- Strong leadership skills and desire to work with an industry leader
- Comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office, Email and the Internet)
- Ability to communicate on various levels including management, departmental, customer and associate
- Ability to work a continuously flexible schedule including days, evenings, and weekends with varying days off to support a seven-day-a-week dining operation
- ServSafe® Certification